Saturday 22 December 2007

Be a nobody in Malaysia OR be a somebody elsewhere?

The post that Dina Zaman wrote was forwarded to me by a Malaysian living and working in the UAE. I don't really know the person but we could have met in one occasion or another. We have a mailing list for Malaysians in UAE but that's another story.

I wondered, after reading Dina's posting: Why do I want to work abroad? I felt people who has it alright here but still decide to uproot their families abroad for whatever reasons are rather selfish but hey, am I not one of them as well? I guess I am. That's why I wondered, why?

In conversations I have with friends, I put it down to simple "it's a fairer world out there" because of the concept of meritocracy. Well yeah, being expatriates, the locals have nothing else to compare with apart from merit and credentials. In my own country, there'd be "Which political party do you support", "You're with company XYZ so you shouldn't be caught mingling with people who are of the opposite camp", "Sorry, but the other guy is backed by such and such a person (who of course is a 'someone' in politics)" and the worst I've known (for a fact) is "Hey, this other guy submitted a proposal priced at RM such and such with strong technical submission. You might want to edit your submission."

Life's very unfair in this place I call my country. "But you're Bumi, how can that be?" Asked a friend. Like it or not, there may be MANY opportunities for the Son of the Land or Bumiputras, not all are among the privileged few who would benefit simply because they are not connected.

Now Why, still?

I've worked with some Americans, Phillipinoes, Indians, Arabs, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Chinese and not to forget Malays in the past. I see that no matter where you work you'll still be ranked on a certain social ladder due to your country of origin, education, colour of skin to name a few. Malaysians are the more favoured Asians in the Mid East primarily due to our former PM's status in the Arab world, his policies and marketing prowess. Some earlier Arabs who had the opportunity of working with Malaysians also had good things to say because Malaysians in general are a hardworking bunch of people. Given good academic background, good perception by the locals, it's no surprise that Malaysians are ranked higher than their Asian neighbours who has higher population. Why rest on being lowly 'casted' in my own country when I can be more appreciated in a foreign place?

And then?

My first long-term employment in the MidEast introduced me to the "All You Can" concept only this time it does not involve food nor is it chargeable. The people there were very open to discussions and advises and will let you into just about anything you want yourself to be involved in. There's trust and confidence. They are not afraid of having 'challengers' to their next promotion because merit is all it's about. "We're starting a new department to manage xxx for xxx. We're short of engineers and we're wondering if you're interested in the job." I was already an engineer then and declining their offer has no adverse effects on me but the thought that they actually feel I'm able and capable of assuming the additional responsibility made me say yes. Once I did, they didn't save a single Dirham on my training.

The All You Can concept does not end there. There's also all-you-can-procure (as long as it's budgeted). You don't have to limit your budget to show a saving of XYZ Dirham at the end of the year. It's just logical. If you have an approved budget Dh2M for sustainence and maintenance, why should you cut down any of them? It's not about wasting, it's about buying those things you really need with savings you made from other purchases. It may be as simple as face masks for field workers and tiny screws for light units but when you take care of the people you're responsible after, these people will in turn take care of your interests and deliver high quality work. And you can occasionally push them a little further for ad-hoc tasks. My favourite tagline then was "If I have it, you'll have it."

Is that all?

These are just the simple few experiences I had which seems to be very alien in Malaysia. My two employers after the MidEast were unable to match the extent of confidence given to me by my MidEast employer. I tried to push for a more direct and transparent communication but it's just too clear that they enjoy having this Boss-Subordinate boundary with low accountability on them but high expectations from me. That's not how the ball rolls in my court and although I did enjoy Radicare to a certain extent (hey, I have my own office and workforce!), I knew I just had to leave in order to remain dynamic.

The saddest of all, they are both Malay-owned companies.

It's not that I don't love Malaysia. I'm loving life here but the limitations are just too much. I am not into greasing palms or sucking arses but the current scenario would make me a nobody if I don't do them.

Be a nobody in Malaysia OR be a somebody elsewhere?

Believe it or not, throughout the 2.5 years in UAE, I've never been to Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen, Saudi or Kuwait. I've spent all my holidays in Malaysia, bringing those UAE Dirhams to Malaysia to be spent in Malaysia. By being abroad, I think I've made Malaysia richer rather than poorer and as little as it may be, that's a contribution I'm proud of. The amount I spent then on a single visit was even more than the amount I paid for income tax for the 12 months of 2006!

When I do go out, it's not because I hate the country but because I love the challenge and exposure outside. I may have to spend a long time away but should I live to experience old age, I will certainly want to spend my last days here, to be rested on Malaysian soil.

For I am only Malaysian.

4 comments:

Ash said...

A bit poyo but "hujan emas di negeri orang, hujan batu di negeri sendiri, lebih baik di negeri sendiri..." betul tak? :-P

Tuan Azmil Abdullah said...

Betul. Berat dan kebiasaannya tak mengandung nilai. Cuma sekali sekala je rezeki orang boleh jumpa batu yang amat berharga yang boleh kita simpan.

Still, lagi elok kalau bawak hujan emas dari negeri orang balik ke negeri sendiri. Bukan ke kita membantu membangunkan negara kita?

~marshmellow heart~ said...

it has to be DINA what ever Zaman..im honoured! hahahah!

Anonymous said...

May be I am a bit late to post here, but you have a nice batik there dude, yeah!

Ok seriously.

I am born Malaysian, a Malay and on a verge of frenzy after the Hindraf thing happened last few weeks.

The thing that I want to share is, what ever that we are doing, it is deeply related to our mindset.

No one that ever lived has ever had enough power, prestige or knowledge to overcome the basic condition of all life, you win some and you lose some =D