Friday 25 April 2008

ANOTHER TWO!

YESS... another two posts and I'll hit CENTURY!

I would've hit century a long time ago if I combined my friendster postings as well but alas! I deleted them. And ALL the poems written in between. Sangap jugak masa tersedar tu tapi apakan daya,

terlajak taip boleh backspace,
terlajak delete online content, hilang selamanya..

I met a long lost friend on facebook recently. I was actually discovered. Sebenarnya, facebook ni lagi effective daripada friendster and myspace put together. It's evident in the number of friends I've accumulated on facebook, a self profiling online program that I joined not more than 6 months ago. I've been on myspace for over 2 years, although scarcely, and friendster since 2004, thanks to Dina's invitation. Friends in friendster has reached 160 facebook's friends list just broke 200!

I find facebook more appealing than the other two due to its relevance to a wide variety of crowds ranging from social to antisocial to religious to gaming to whatever the take, you name it and they've got developers for it. I for one have not even began to survey programs but until now have at least 20 applications linked to my profile that includes my all time favourite, SCRABBLE and newly found favourite Warbook, My Heroes Ability and Text Twist.

As a friend and cousin put it, in our most recent conversation today, the presence of these personal profile programs allows us to keep in touch with our friends, relatives and colleagues from anywhere we are without being/sounding intrusive or absurd. We get to tell our connections things we've gone through, places we've visited, games we play and even send gifts to loved ones as a sign of remembrance and affection, ALBEIT virtually.

Despite of all the positiveness these profiling programs bring, we should also not be too relax in ensuring that our privacy is protected. Information such as telephone numbers, house addresses and other key details should be kept away from sites that is open to outside viewing and information farming for the simple reason: You'll never know who's reading. If you're of a more freakable nature, you might also want to limit the amount of applications you add to your profile because every application that you add adds to a more accurate profile of you as a person, so much so that someone who views your profile will be able to tell things about you without even having to meet. I for one am a freakable person and so I keep my profile brief.

It's really up to one's flavour and means on adding spice to an already spicy dish.

1 comment:

illusionist said...

i don't really know you, but your face is famous enough to be known ^-^
i guess tht's better thn nothing!

thnks for everything :)