Sunday 15 February 2009

The week that was - The story

It was quite some week, that was. I cannot recall what I actually did because things that I do which has no consequence in the future are usually left there, in the past.

I had a conversation with a friend about two weeks ago where I was told that I 'helped' her overcome her anger with some people she was dealing with back then. Which I had totally forgotten and had to ask her to refresh my memory of what I actually did. So she said and I, being the 'let it go' person wondered if I actually did it because it sounded fictional. Yes, I am capable of telling people stuff (and stuff that I tell are those that I hold to, not those that I support in theory) but being told that I said things she said I said, I thought, nasib baik cakap macam tu :P

To which comes the story of my new end-of-day task, the daily report. I was initially upset with my boss for demanding that we all write a daily report to him before leaving office. I find that request offensive because to my thought then, it was a request by the guys higher up to spy on our productivity level so that those who did not perform can be axed. It is tough times now. Being the Azmil I am, I procrastinated with my report and received an email the next day, "I didn't receive your report. Is there any problem?" I replied to that email by sending a report and adding, at the bottom, "I am very uncomfortable having to write this daily report."

We had a chat, my boss and I, later that day and he explained what's going on. The report that we write daily was a request by my boss, not the higher uppers simply because he is now on the go most of the time and have other things to think of, including issues relating to the new office in India. The daily report would then be used to gauge how much or how little work we've done as well as progress of any given tasks.

"I'm fine with writing reports to you. I thought it was a request by the higher uppers," was kinda what I told him.

So, neways, last week, had a few enquiries, small groups of 50 pax each doing different different stuff. Had also enquiries by some 'partners' for rates and friends for packages. The week was rather fun with the exception of some 'faces' by disapproving parties.

I don't know lah. I thought being a small office, we'd gel in easily amongst us but that proved to be quite an issue as well. I have always been the "go solve your own issues yourself and outside office hours" but when people started pulling faces, it makes me feel like giving them a hard kick on the but, literally. Dude, your responsibility is yours and yours alone. Don't point fingers at others and demand help or assistance. Help and assistance are just what they are: HELP and ASSISTANCE. You don't have any rights to demand help from anyone.

help (MAKE EASIER) Show phonetics
verb
1 [I or T] to make it possible or easier for someone to do something, by doing part of the work yourself

assistance Show phonetics
noun [U]
help

I guess it's a cyclical reference here, hehe.. I think I wrote about this help thing in a previous post (malas nak gi cari dan letak penghubung (link?)) but I'd like to repeat.

The best example I've encountered in terms of help came from a senior in Uni. I was in third year and he was a senior moving towards graduating. This guy, Syed Haider is a Pakistani. We were both in the same department and went to a few same classes. One day, he came to me asking me to help his application at the office because it was taking quite some time. Being a local and also formerly a board member in the engineering students' society, he was hoping that my probe would help hasten whatever that he needed processing.

So Azmil, the procrastinator, procrastinated. The next day, met him at the same place again and he asked if I did what he asked me to help him with and with guilt, I said no and apologised. He said, "No, no, it's okay. I'm asking you for help, it is not right for me to ask for it to be done immediately,"

Lagi la rasa guilty! :P

But I went to the Admin office that day and enquired about his issue. He got it done the same week.

Yes, I remember his full name, Syed Haider Ali Shahzad.

I want to write about the concept "Pay it forward" from a story with the same title but that will have to be next time.

No comments: