Monday 1 October 2007

Emotional Equations..

I realised that it's been a very long time since I wrote anything mentally stimulating (to me). For the past year or so, it's been about work and about things that I did/go through and some places I went but not much on perceptions, thoughts and opinions.
Until today, I wasn't in the right mind to write them. It takes some mental stimulation, some external input to lift me to a slightly higher level that would make me have to activate certain brain functions.
I've just read a blog written by Zahirah, one of my former students who was also my sister's friend/classmate in IIC. That blog ignited an opinion that lead to this blog.
We have been told time and again to be good to others because "what goes around comes around". Yeah, if you do bad and nothing bad happens to you then it's good, luck's probably on your side. What if you do good and instead of getting good from the equation

do good = get good
and instead of getting good, we either get nothing or worse, get bad. It's a sucky feeling really when good intentions are misinterpreted and misunderstood as something opposite. It's even worse if the misinterpretation and misunderstanding leads to negative reactions from others such that it ruins a lovely/moderate day.
There were times when these things happen that makes it just so tiring to just live and go through the day but with no other choice remaining, we sulk and drag out feet past the hours until we wake again the next day with hopes of forgotten past and better future.
Although I'm no emotionless 'freak', I tend to rationalise more than often when things go good/bad and came with the conclusion that it all lies in the mind. How so? Lets return to the equation and add one variable:
do good = get good + (unexpected)
Sometimes the unexpected outweighs the get good and brings us from happy to joy, elation and happiness of stratospheric proportions. The downside to it is that the unexpected can also drown us in misery or get us smacked down.
There's a (quote? saying?) "Expect the Unexpected" which we naturally frequently forget because the unexpected seldom appear. If we prepare for unexpected occurances, chances are, we would be better prepared for any setbacks that would arise from our actions but most importanly, we realise that life's not one big equation waiting to happen but rather a process of learning.
In "doing", lay low and switch off expectations. The lesser you expect, the calmer your heart beats.

1 comment:

rj.zyra said...

very true. :)
its when you least expect things, the good part will just shine all of a sudden.

but you see, in my case, what if people expects good outcomes from you. i would love to layback and be care-free, and not expect things, but life doesnt work that way now does it :P. when people expect from you, you expect 10 times more.

thats when a third party pops in.
my case, i have a third party.

otherwise, its true. dont expect , its waay better that way!

xoxo,